10 most important rules for writing a competent resume
Knowing how to create a resume that will attract the attention of the employer is a big plus for the applicant. A competent and effective resume greatly increases the chances of an interview with subsequent employment.
This article will explain the basic principles of the summary, as well as ideas about the most common blunders that allow applicants in its preparation and distribution.
What is a resume?
A resume is a document for employment where the applicant, independently or with the help of a consultant, lists his main skills, talks about education, work experience, etc. In essence, a resume is a means of selling a candidate in the labor market.
Put yourself in the place of personnel officers - dozens and hundreds of resumes are sent to them every day, and if the document is weak, then what’s the point of wasting time on face-to-face communication with its sender?
Standard summary design includes the following nuances:
- black font (Times New Roman, Calibri, etc.) 12th or 14th size;
- bold key sections (work experience, education, etc.);
- it is recommended to attach a business photo to the resume;
- avoid tables if possible;
- Volume - 1.5-2 A4 pages.
In principle, now popular Internet resources for job search (HH, Superjob, etc.) automate the process of creating a resume and allow you to save it in Word, if necessary, so you can do without manually structuring your resume.
How to create a resume: the main points
As a rule, now all summaries are based on one template, which includes several main points.
To enable the employer to distinguish your resume, call it your full name. For example, a summary of Petrov Peter Petrovich.
It indicates what particular job you are applying for. It is advisable to indicate the site from which the data on the vacancy are takenThis will facilitate the future work of the personnel officer.
For correspondence about the work, it is desirable to have a new personal mail and use the full name of the applicant in it - , , etc.
It will make orientation easier for the staff to follow up. Do not use to connect your work e-mail.
Other required items:
- mobile phone, then you can add Skype or its analogs, which can be useful during a remote interview;
- marital status;
- Date of Birth;
- city of residence (you can add and metro station).
If you attended the day and budget form of education, received a red diploma, it is better to mention this separately. Otherwise, it is better to simply indicate the name of the educational institution, the period of study and specialty.
In principle, education now plays a smaller role, since there are a lot of people with higher education now. In general, practical skills now dominate the labor market, although, of course, quality education provides a big additional plus.
It is very good to have an additional education, giving the actual professional skills: courses 1C, Excel, etc.Now they are in abundance, especially since many are held online: in order to receive a certificate or diploma, you do not need to go anywhere.
Work experience need to mention the one that you have in labor. If you have worked somewhere, but without recording and confirmation, it is better to just keep silent.
The list begins with the last place of work. Given the name of the company, the city, the scope of its activities, the period of work, your position. You need to write in 2-3 sentences what your responsibilities were.
Usually, employers are not interested in a full list of jobs - 4-5 are enough. Do not miss the places of work that are indicated in your work - this may create the impression that you are silent about something.
The main problems at this point are for beginners - they need to immediately write in the cover letter that they have minimal work experience and stress their academic success.
Achievements in the former workplace
It is desirable that you have information that you can confirm the achievements. Feedback from clients, files with calculations, presentations and reports that you have left - all this will be an extra plus. On the other hand, it is not necessary to get involved in this: no one has canceled a commercial secret.
A potential employer may think about the safety of their information with such an enterprising applicant.
Your key skills and knowledge are listed here: Excel, driver's license, design or statistical analysis skills, etc. The more skills the better, but you don’t need to list everything. 10-15 enough key.
Here are several qualities that will be useful to a potential employer. Most often, he is not interested in your love for animals and the passion for movies - he needs 3-4 qualities that will be in demand at a particular position. Perfection, readiness for business trips, interpersonal skills are always relevant.
Recommendations from the previous workplace
Recommendations need 2-4 pieces.And you can take letters of recommendation or from managers, or from contractors.
Optional, but in many professions a useful option. Your design samples, articles, business plans and the like are located in this section.
After completing your resume, you need to look at it from an employer's point of view: would he hire such an employee? What you need to add or subtract?
The main mistakes of applicants
Lack of cover letters
Sometimes it happens that a well-written resume is sent out without a cover letter or little attention is paid to it. Gross mistake! The bottom line is that personnel officers receive dozens and hundreds of resumes per day, and with such a stream they simply do not have time to carefully read them.
Often there is only enough time for a cover letter. If it is formally or completely absent, then there is a very high chance that even a quite professional resume will end up in the basket.
The wrong summary size is also a fairly common mistake by job seekers. The correct resume should be 1.5-2 pages, not more. And one page is too frivolous.
In personal data, applicants write questionable habits and hobbies (from computer games, for example, or love to social networking), from the employer's point of view.
Sending standardized resumes without attempting to adapt it to the requirements of potential employers is a very common oversight.
It is better to spend time on drawing up several resumes that will play the role of templates when fitting for an employer than wasting energy on a mass mailing of a carbon copy of a resume. Take not only quantity but also quality.
Errors in grammar and spelling, inaccuracies in the writing of foreign words greatly reduce the assessment of the summary. Be sure to check the text for spelling!
Sometimes applicants indicate practical skills, but are not ready to demonstrate them. So, if the resume indicates that you have skills in Excel, it is likely that during the interview you will be asked to demonstrate these skills.
"Compromising" in social networks
Consider that now any candidate is “punched” through social networks. To do this, do not need the Security Council or communication in the police: email, phone, name, just driven into a search engine and see what you can find. You'd be surprised how much doubtful information people voluntarily post on public display.
Ignorance of information about the company
If a resume has led to an interview, spend 5-10 minutes and refresh information about the company and the position where you were invited. Otherwise, this will be the first and last meeting with a potential employer.
Bad reviews about the former place of work
Some potential job seekers, speaking about the reasons for leaving the previous job, begin to “blaspheme” the past authorities or team.This is extremely ugly! Do not speak badly about your former colleagues or managers.
Inability to use the Internet
Do not ask the address - it is bad form in the Internet age. It is enough to score the name of the company in a search engine and see the location and routes of public transport.
How to write a cover letter to the resume?
The letter itself is small, only a few sentences, and includes three sections.
- Greeting (indicate full name and position).
- Main section: what position are you applying for; briefly list the strengths and skills important to this position; state the motivation for this work.
- Farewell (Regards ...).
The letter itself should be read in 10-15 seconds. The goal is to highlight your resume from the stream of competitors
How to write a resume: recommendations of specialists
We give 10 points from the resume writing professionals.
- Do not use the pronoun "I". You need to write impersonal, in the third, and not in the first person. Not “I did the work,” but “the work was done.”
- Remove common phrases, focus on specifics.
- Difficult terminology is appropriate, but it is better to demonstrate it as much as possible at the interview, and not in the resume.
- View competitors' resumes, pay special attention to their skills. You can see them, for example, on Avito.
- The resume is desirable business style text. Exclamation marks and emotions are not welcome. There are, of course, exceptions - creative companies, niche products, etc. An extra example of how to adapt to the employer.
- Not only personnel officers get acquainted with your resume - then it lies on the table with the supervisor, who will make the decision about work. Therefore, too simplify the document is also not necessary.
- Small embellishments are allowed, but it is strictly not recommended to give false information. Even if they take you to work, then they can, if it turns out that the data were fake, just be fired with an appropriate entry to the work record.
- There are no strict requirements on the instructions of the salary. Someone indicates the desired level immediately, and someone stipulates for interviews. In general, if the sellers dominate the labor market, you are a sought-after specialist, so you can specify the amount of remuneration right away.Otherwise, it will be more useful to discuss this question at the interview.
- In general, wherever possible, simplify the work of an HR specialist. Do not use an unconventional font, extra indentation, incomprehensible abbreviation. Remember, all your resumes go through these people.
- Remember that your skills can be tested immediately during the interview. Be prepared to demonstrate knowledge if you write about them in the summary.
An example of a correct resume
Petrov Petr Petrovich resume
Vacancy: economist, published on the site: job.ru
Name: Petrov Petr Petrovich
Place of residence: Moscow, Art. metro Fili
Moscow Institute, Faculty of Economics, 2010-2014, budget, full-time education.
Additional education: 1C courses at the Moscow Institute 09.2014-11.2014.
Beta LLC, Moscow, toy trade, website - www.Beta.ru
Period of work: 01/01/2016-01.01.2017
Achievements: Created a financial monitoring system that helped reduce production costs by 8% per quarter.
Analyzed sales, customers and competitors, which helped increase net profit by 6%.
LLC Alfa, Moscow, clothing trade, website - www.Alfa.ru
Period of work: 01/01/2015-01.01.2016
Position: Sales Manager
Achievements: Increased sales of caps for the year by 22.5%.
Increased the number of clients in the South-West by 6.2%.
Additional information: English Intermediate level; driving license category B; experienced user Excel (macros, functions) and 1C Enterprise. Extensive experience in economic analysis: customers (RFM-analysis), goods (ABC-XYZ-analysis), factor analysis. Mobilen. Ready for business trips.
Personal qualities: high interpersonal skills, diligence, ability and desire to work on the result.
Recommendations from the previous place of work:
Alexander Sidorov, Director, Beta LLC, 8-800-800-80-01
Ivan Ivanov, Director of Alpha LLC, 8-800-800-80-02
An example of a correct cover letter
Dear Igor Yurievich, good afternoon!
I am writing about the job of an economist posted on the job.ru site.
I have extensive experience in financial analysis, including the consideration of sales, customers and competitors. Engaged in economic calculations of the parameters of cost and production efficiency. Experienced user Excel and 1C; confident english.
See attached summary for more details. Ready to answer any additional questions.
Sincerely, I. I. Ivanov.
So, you can summarize the main results of writing the correct resume.
- The resume should be individualized, not standard - it is necessary to adapt to the employer. It is desirable to make several templates with resumes and cover letters and customize them to the requirements of a particular employer.
- Modern summaries are compiled according to a specific structure; after its compilation, the text should be read in grammar and spelling.
- There must be a small cover letter for the resume; his goal is to highlight your resume.
- The volume of the summary - 1.5-2 sheets; The letter accompanying the resume should be read in 10-15 seconds.
- The purpose of the resume itself is to help guide you through personnel specialists to direct employers.
- Be prepared to validate the skills, recommendations and information from your resume.
Remember that good resume writing skills are in demand not only for beginners. Even a great professional may not have a chance to submit himself at the interview with the supervisor, because the personnel officers have eliminated his weak resume.