Artificial stone for interior decoration. Interior decoration of walls with artificial stone
In search of an original way of interior decoration of the walls, apartment or suburban housing owners often opt for an artificial decorative stone. With it, you can make notes of naturalness and antiquity into the interior of the room. Modern technologies allow making wall cladding with a decorative stone very diverse and original, and the installation process will not seem difficult if you know some of its features.
What is artificial stone made from?
The artificial stone for internal finishing meets several types:
- Stone of plaster. The material has several advantages: practicality, environmental friendliness, reliability, a wide range of colors and elementary installation. In addition, gypsum is characterized by excellent heat and sound insulation.This type of stone is easy to make at home by yourself.
- Acrylic stone. Its scope of application is both interior and exterior. Acrylic stone is very popular when facing walls. Technical and operational characteristics of the material are at the highest level. Also, the stone of their acrylic is moisture resistant and environmentally friendly.
- Quartz stone. Interior decoration with decorative artificial stone made of quartz will be cheaper than materials made of acrylic or plaster. In its production, granite, marble and quartzite crumbs are used, and dyes are added to impart the desired shade.
What effects can be created with a facing stone?
The popularity of wall cladding artificial decorative stone leads to a constant expansion of its range. To date, the following most commonly used species can be distinguished:
- under the brick;
- under the sandstone;
- under the bassoon;
- under granite, etc.
Interior wall decoration with artificial stone has many advantages. For example, all its types are environmentally friendly, moisture resistant, do not absorb dirt and are easy to clean. The demand for artificial stone is higher than natural, due to its low price.
How to prepare the surface
Before you start facing the walls with artificial stone, you should prepare the surface. At the same time it is allowed to save small irregularities on the base. This is due to the fact that the front side of the material itself is uneven, so small roughness after mounting the stone will disappear. However, note that any decorative stone, artificial or natural, has a large thickness and weight, which create a load on the foundation, which means that the wall must be strong enough, and the adhesive mixture must be of high quality.
Artificial stone for interior decoration can be laid on the surface, which was plastered in advance, as well as on brick, expanded clay concrete or concrete blocks. If the wall is painted or covered with wallpaper, it should be removed from the old coating. If the base is drywall, then it is necessary to make the processing of sheets with concrete-contact means. When facing wooden walls with stone on the surface, you first need to create a frame, fix the plasterboard from above and prime it.
"Try on" the elements of artificial stone on the wall and create a sketch
First you need to decide where the interior will be decorated with artificial stone. You need to create a sketch, given the size, shape and method of laying material.
You can lay the stone end-to-end or with the formation of a seam. When developing a sketch, this moment should also be taken into account. It must be remembered that cutting a stone so that its appearance does not hurt itself is quite difficult, therefore the size of the areas covered by the material must be proportional to the size of the stone "tiles." It is better to use solid stone.
After the sketch is ready, you can transfer it to the wall. In case you need to create a flat line of decoration, it is better to use special corner profiles, they need to be attached to the wall. So the final work will look great, even if the installation was carried out independently and with small rough edges.
Installation of decorative stone
After preparing the surface and developing a sketch, you can proceed to installation using stone for interior decoration. Features of lining need to know in any case, in particular, if the repair is done by hand.Attach the material to the base is better with a special glue. To make it, it is necessary to fill the container with the right amount of water and pour a dry mixture into it in a thin stream. For mixing the resulting solution is better to use a construction mixer or a special nozzle on the drill.
It is recommended to start work from the corners. The solution should be applied first to the width of the first row, as special attention is paid to it. Distribute glue on the surface with a spatula with a comb or trowel. If a stitch is provided for laying, auxiliary elements are used. These may be drywall strips or ordinary plastic crosses, which are intended for tile installation. All elements after the solution is completely dry, are removed.
In most cases, when an artificial stone is used for interior decoration, the material is placed at a certain distance from each other, that is, with jointing. In this case, the stage of rust design is included in the installation process. For filling of the formed seam the jointing solution is used.Often it is repainted to enhance the effect of laying.
For rusting, surplus cement glue mastic will be suitable, with the help of which a stone is bonded to the surface. After the solution hardens, it should be smoothed with a wooden spatula prepared in advance to the required size. If there is not enough solution to fill the seam, a special bag will fit, inside which there is a jointing mixture.
Completion of wall decoration with facing stone
At the end of the work you must wait until the mastic dries. Then you need to clear those places on the surface of the stone, which hit the solution. This can be done with a dry brush. A wet or too hard cleaning brush will not work.
It is not necessary to process artificial stone for interior decoration from above with a protective coating, however, its application will significantly increase the service life of the lining. It will be especially useful if there is a constant high humidity in the room. Apply a protective coating should be roller or household spray.
Scope of a facing stone
It is possible to apply an artificial stone for finishing of any room.The choice of the type of material depends only on what the room is designed for and in what style its interior is made.
- Living room. There is a wide range of use of stone: you can impose it on the entire wall, while maintaining the color scheme of the room, highlight the protruding parts of the walls or make a kind of frame, the surface pasted over with wallpaper.
- Kitchen. In this room, the original will look "apron", lined with decorative stone instead of tile. Also, artificial granite make out the countertop of the working kitchen table.
- The entrance hall. In this room, dirt accumulates faster than in others. Decorative stone does not require special care, therefore, problems with cleaning will be reduced.
- Balcony. Using artificial stone for interior decoration of the balcony, you will add warmth and comfort to the room.
Thus, artificial stone is perfect for finishing any room. The main thing - do not overload them with walls. Keep the room lightness, and the updated interior will surely delight you, your loved ones and guests.