Attractions Ostrava (Czech Republic): description, history and interesting facts
In the eastern part of the Czech Republic is the city of Ostrava. At the time of Czechoslovakia, it was considered the most powerful industrial center of the country. Now he is famous and thanks to tourism. What is interesting to see here? Detailed information about the city of Ostrava in the Czech Republic can be found in our article. Enjoy your reading!
Steel Heart of the Republic
After Prague and Brno, the city of Ostrava in the Czech Republic is the third largest settlement. It is located in the Moravian-Silesian region. The city is inhabited by about 300 thousand people. In addition to the Czechs, it is inhabited by Poles, Jews, Slovaks and Germans.
Many famous people are associated with Ostrava. The honorary citizens are the first president of Czechoslovakia, Tomas Masaryk, and the second president, Benes Edward, the Soviet commander Andrei Eremenko, and the intelligence officer Maria Bobyrev, who participated in the liberation of the city from the Nazis.From here comes from tennis player Ivan Lendl, who was once the first racket of the world.
The area where the city is located has never been empty. Even in the Early Middle Ages, the Amber Route passed through it, through which merchants brought amber from the Baltic to the Mediterranean. In 1267 Ostrava appeared here. Until the end of the 18th century, it was a small craft town, but the discovery of coal deposits next to it changed everything.
From a village with a population of a thousand people, Ostrava began to turn into a large industrial center. The city grew, there appeared factories and plants. In Czechoslovakia, he was called the "Steel Heart of the Republic." Some of these giants have now become popular attractions of Ostrava. In the Czech Republic, the city still holds the title of industrial capital, although in the 90s most of the factories were closed. Several of them have been sold and are currently in operation.
Description of the attractions of Ostrava
Czech Republic cherishes the reputation of a typical European country with lush royal palaces, narrow streets and cozy cafes. Ostrava debunks these standards. It does not have that architectural integrity and miniature, which usually attracts travelers, quiet medieval alleys are also difficult to find here.
However, this does not mean that the sights in Ostrava, in the Czech Republic, no. In the city all epochs are wonderfully mixed Having risen higher, one can observe how Austro-Hungarian buildings stand out against the background of gray structures and smoking chimneys of factories. Classical buildings sometimes coexist with the “boxes” of the Czechoslovak period or with absolutely modern buildings.
Of course, there is also a historical center. It is much inferior to Prague, Brno or Krumlov, but also contains a number of old buildings built between the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries. Most of them are concentrated around Masaryk Square. In the industrial part of Ostrava, you can see abandoned mines and factories, museums, which tell about the beginning of the “metallurgical route” of the city.
The city also has several castles, parks, museums. Here are the most interesting tourist attractions of Ostrava in the Czech Republic:
- Masaryk Square.
- Silesian-Ostrava fortress.
- Museum "Landeck Park".
- Catholic church of St. Wenceslas.
- Porubsky castle.
- Cathedral of the Divine Savior.
- Kravare castle.
- Mine "Michal".
- Dump "Ema".
- Brewery "Ostravar".
There are many places that Ostrava is known for.The best places to learn about the sights and places of interest in the city are from Masaryk Square. It is named after the first president of Czechoslovakia and is decorated with its monument. In its center is another monument - the Mariinsky or the Plague Column. It was erected in 1702 in the form of a sculpture of the Virgin Mary. Such pillars were placed in many cities of Europe as a memory of the plague epidemic and gratitude to God for those who survived in it.
Inside it is also a sculpture of St. Florian - the patron saint of firefighters and a flat fountain. There are various historical buildings along the perimeter of the square: the former cafe “Habsburg”, the old town hall with the Ostrava Museum inside, the pharmacy building, which now houses the museum of the zither (plucked musical instrument).
Cathedral of the Divine Savior
This landmark of Ostrava in the Czech Republic is located next to Masaryk Square. The Cathedral is the second largest temple in Moravia. Its construction was carried out for fifteen years, finally in 1886 the neo-Renaissance building was completed. The cathedral is able to accommodate about 4 thousand people.
It is easily recognizable by the brick-cream color and two symmetrical towers with green roofs.Outside the window and the distance between them are decorated with decorative Ionic columns, gables above the windows. Its towers soar up to 67 meters high, and inside each of them are placed the bells. In 1998, the church was supplemented with an organ, and now it regularly hosts organ music concerts.
Lower Vitkovice area
Vitkovice is one of the industrial attractions of Ostrava in the Czech Republic. The whole city of iron pipes and fancy designs was once a metallurgical plant. It was founded by the Archbishop of Olomouc, and later bought by the Rothschild family.
Coal was mined in the Depth mine, going down a full thousand meters. Numerous ground structures served for the production of coke, the manufacture of metal for the construction of ships and industrial enterprises, the construction of bridges.
The plant was closed in 1998. Now it is a huge museum and art center, striking in its scope and unusual. The lower region Vitkowice is considered the cultural heritage of the Czech Republic.
Visitors can walk through abandoned factory premises, see a blast furnace, and get acquainted with the process of iron and metal production.The exhibition “The World of Technology” is located in one of the buildings, and the other often hosts festivals and concerts.
The oldest building in all of Ostrava is the Silesian-Austrian fortress. Interestingly, it was not built by the Czechs. In the XIII century, the border between Poland and the Czech Republic passed here, and in order to protect themselves, the Polish princes ordered to build a defensive fortress. It was surrounded by powerful walls and deep moats.
In the XVI century, the territory passed to the Czechs. They did not think to defend themselves, so they rebuilt the fortress into a castle. The entrance gate, the forge, the main building and the sturdy walls of those times are still preserved, but many of the details were destroyed by fire. Rebuilt the castle relatively recently.
Today it has a witch museum and a museum of medieval costumes, a torture chamber with various tools with which to mock prisoners. You can visit the castle cellars and dungeons, as well as climb to its top to explore the entire city. The castle is surrounded by its legends, they say that occasionally the ghost of the White Lady wanders through its corridors with a golden key in their hands.
Among the attractions of Ostrava in the Czech Republic is the Museum of Mining "Landek". It is located not in the city itself, but five kilometers away, in the village of Petrskovec. The museum is located on the territory of a natural park. Along the paths on the green lawns are not flowerbeds, but exhibits that once served as metallurgy. Here you can see rotors, combine harvesters, transportation systems, technical mining buildings, etc.
A walk along the Landek includes a tour inside the abandoned Anselm mine. After the hall with the uniform of the miners, visitors descend by elevator to the place where coal was previously mined. Here are presented various equipment, tools and even rock samples. Returning to the surface, you can visit the bar "Harenda" with local specialty beer.
You can get acquainted with all the nuances of the production of real beer and taste it at the only plant in Ostrava. There used to be seven in the city. The first breweries appeared here in 1842, and all products were sent to Germany. The surviving plant was built in 1897, now it is owned by Staropramen.
Local beer has a rich bitter taste and density. Acquaintance with the features of its preparation takes place in the brewing workshops and basements, where the drink is stored. The museum of the plant includes beer labels of various years, an old bar counter, and equipment for brewing beer. Here, they literally know everything about beer and are happy to share it with visitors.