If the puppy has diarrhea ...
The article is for informational purposes only. The following recommendations are intended for those who, due to circumstances, are unable to contact the veterinarian immediately.
So, if the puppy has diarrhea (diarrhea), try to determine the reasons. There can be many:
- disturbances in feeding (stale food, change of diet, intolerance of any ingredient, consumption of fatty or smoked food, overeating);
- presence of parasites (sometimes they come out with a chair);
- bacterial diseases, toxins (Clostridium, Salmonella, Yersinia, Campylobacter, etc. - infection occurs with the use of contaminated food, water, eating feces);
- viral infections (plaque, adenovirus, parvoviroz, rotaviroz, coronaviroz);
- infections fungal and protozoal (giardiasis, coccidiosis, histoplasmosis, etc.);
- medicinal preparations (can irritate mucous, causing a dysbacteriosis: antibiotics, aspirin, insecticides, etc.);
- disorders in metabolism;
- inflammation of the pancreas (pancreatitis);
Definitely - viral in the puppy diarrhea orbacterial, according to one symptom alone: signs are identical. With frequent fluid stool, especially in combination with vomiting, rapid dehydration occurs, which leads to the death of the animal. That's why, after noticing diarrhea in a puppy, consult a doctor without hesitation.
Diarrhea in the dog. Treatment
Do not feed the dog for 12 hours, providing it with water(fresh and clean) - let the digestive system rest and clean. If you are sure that the dog is poisoned with food, give it rehydron, or atoxyl (application and dosage on the package). Note that with the use of atoxyl, vomiting is possible. Do not be scared. So the drug cleanses the body, adsorbing poisonous substances and thus removing them. If there are painful reactions and spasms, you can give half a pill no-shpa, through an hour - another half. With the onset of improvements, you can feed the puppy (after 12 hours). Doses should be small, and food - easy to digest. At first you can give boiled rice, finely chopped boiled lean beef (chicken), low-fat cottage cheese.
Usually the puppy stops diarrhea in shortterms and in a couple of days you can already gradually return to normal diet. Introduce new products gradually. Observe the reaction to them: it is possible that one of the products does not fit your dog, which causes diarrhea in the puppy. Eliminate this product from the diet at all. It can be, for example, milk. At a certain age (each puppy is individually), enzymes (enzymes) that promote digestibility of milk (splitting lactose) cease to be produced, which eventually causes diarrhea in the puppy.
However, if diarrhea can not be stopped, ifyou observe lethargy, a decrease in appetite (or a complete lack of it), if vomiting opens and the temperature rises, and the feces turn dark, with blood (or bloody mucus), contact the veterinarian. It is very likely that the puppy has a viral disease and the bill here is not even for days, but for hours.
In this case, a complete examination will be required: blood tests - general and biochemical, feces, urine, x-ray of the abdominal cavity, etc.
And already based on the results of the tests and knowing the diagnosis, the veterinarian will prescribe the treatment.
Prevent diarrhea in the puppy is impossible. However, as in an adult dog. However, the risk of the disease can be reduced.
- make timely vaccinations;
- do not let the dog lift something from the ground;
- do not change the diet abruptly;
- Do not feed the remains of food from your table (especially smoked foods and foods containing fat);
- Do not give the dog food that has already led to a stomach disorder;
- feed the dog well digestible and fullfood (if you feed a balanced diet, then choose a premium and super premium food from well-established manufacturers with unexpired shelf life).
- do deworming on time;
Once again I remind: The proposed treatment is suitable only for first aid and to alleviate the condition of the dog. If symptoms persist, consult a physician. Do not postpone the visit. Procrastination can cost a puppy of life.