"Strofantin": instructions for use, indications and reviews
Cardiac glycosides are the main assistants in the treatment of heart failure. One of the most commonly used drugs is Strofantin.
What is this remedy?
Strofantin belongs to the group of cardiac glycosides. This substance is produced from the plant Strophantus Kombe Oliver - a liana growing in the tropics. It is a combined tool, which consists of K-strophanthoside and K-strophanthin. Instructions for use of this drug warns that if other cardiac glycosides were used prior to his appointment, then a short pause should be made before use, as there is a risk of overdose.
This group of drugs helps to improve the work of the heart. The main effects that Strofantin has on are the following:
- Positive inotropic effect. This action is manifested in an increase in the strength and speed of myocardial contraction.
- Negative chronotropic effect. Due to a decrease in heart rate.
- Negative dromotropic effect. Aims at reducing the excitability of the atrioventricular node, which reduces the frequency of impulses in it.
Indications for appointment
In what cases, patients are prescribed "Strofantin"? The indications for its use are as follows:
- Chronic heart failure. With this disease, Strofantin is a first-line drug. Due to its effects, the work of the heart is restored (it increases the stroke and minute volume of the heart; the remedy helps unload the ventricles, which leads to a decrease in their size).
- Atrial fibrillation. According to the instructions, "Strofantin" helps to reduce impulses in the atrioventricular node. Due to this, the heart rate and extrasystoles are reduced, which makes the use of this tool mandatory for the development of tachycardia or extrasystoles of the supraventricular localization. Can be used in atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation.
- The drug is also used in acute heart failure, especially in cases where it is necessary to quickly stimulate the heart.
In what cases you can not use the drug "Strofantin"? Contraindications to its use can be divided into several groups:
- Glycoside intoxication.If there are symptoms of an overdose with drugs of the cardiac glycosides group (for example, digitalis) - bradycardia, rhythm dissociation - in no case should Strophantin be administered.
- Wolff-Parkinson-White syndrome.With this disease, accompanied by the development of an additional beam (Kent) in the cardiac conduction system, the drug contributes to the deterioration of the condition.
- AV blockade.Since the drug Strofantin is often used to suppress cardiac conduction, the instructions for use prohibit its administration in the presence of blockades, since cardiac arrest is possible.
- Hypersensitivity to the drug.It is dangerous to develop anaphylactic shock and angioedema.
Features of use with other drugs
The use of Strofantin in parallel with barbituric acid preparations helps to reduce the tonic effect on the heart. If parallel with sympathomimetics or methylxanthines prescribed drug "Strofantin", the risk of arrhythmias and intermittent blockades is high.Glucocorticoids and insulin, when used in parallel with glycosides, contribute to the development of the body's glycoside intoxication.
It is not necessary when using magnesium sulfate (magnesia) to prescribe the agent "Strofantin". Instructions for use of the drug warns of the possible development of atrioventricular blocks and a decrease in cardiac conduction up to cardiac arrest.
Antiarrhythmics and beta-blockers contribute to enhancing the action of glycoside and can lead to the development of intoxication with this tool. Calcium preparations increase the activity of the drug and increase the sensitivity of the heart muscle to it.
Side effect of the drug
As with any drug, this medicine can cause side effects on the part of certain organs and tissues:
- From the gastrointestinal tract nausea, vomiting, appetite and stool disorders are observed.
- The nervous system can respond to the use of the drug by headache, dizziness, mood disorders and color perception, confusion of thoughts (therefore, if Strophanthin is prescribed, the instructions for use of the drug prohibit driving a car during the course of taking the drug).
- Allergic manifestations (with sensitivity to the components of the product) - rash, itching, angioedema.
- On the part of the cardiovascular system, blockade development, the appearance of extrasystoles, paroxysmal tachycardia, atrial flutter and atrial fibrillation and ventricular fibrillation can be observed.
For each patient, the dosage regimen of the drug is individual, since everyone responds differently to the treatment being performed. The basis for dose selection is the instruction. "Strofantin" is prescribed according to the diseases described in it and the minimum recommended dose.
Usually the drug is administered intravenously. Dosing it is 250 µg per reception (twice a day administration of the drug is indicated per day). The daily dose should not exceed 1 mg, which corresponds to 4 ml of solution for injection. It is necessary to administer the drug slowly, since the bolus injection may develop shock.
In some cases, if the agent "Strofantin" is prescribed, the indications for use may include an increase in the dose, which is carried out only by the attending physician.
The drug is also prescribed only in consultation with the doctor.The release of funds is carried out by prescription, as "Strofantin" refers to a group of potent drugs.
Cardiovascular diseases are quite common. Many patients, having tried various combinations of drugs, sooner or later come to the use of glycosides. Among patients who were prescribed the drug "Strofantin", reviews vary considerably. Some of this tool helps, puts on his feet, even the seemingly most difficult patients with heart disease in the stage of decompensation. Others do not react at all to medication. Such patients usually have several more severe chronic diseases, and the person takes at the same time those drugs that inhibit the action of glycoside.
That is why the appointment of glycosides should be made only by a doctor in accordance with the indications of health. The specialist will be able to determine whether glycosides will be effective for the patient, and whether their use is appropriate in this particular case.