Tuya Smaragd on the site: the subtleties of planting and care
occupy a worthy and honorable place in any garden. This state of affairs is easy to explain. beautiful at any time of the year, they delight their fragrant and bright needles. One of the most worthy and favorite representatives is Thuja Smaragd. It feels great in the climatic conditions of our country and has a high decorative effect.
Description of the variety
The tree has a cypress-like shape and grows to a height of 3-4 meters. The needles are painted in a beautiful emerald hue. Western thuja is growing not too fast, reaching a specified height only by the age of 5-6. This is a long-lived person who will decorate your garden for up to 150 years, a good inheritance for future descendants. Western thuja Smaragd is distinguished by high frost resistance and the ability to grow on almost any soil. Flexible wood and neat appearance made it an excellent “material” for creating garden sculptures and hedges, which European landscape designers have long been using.
Species of Tui Smaragd
The following varieties of Tui Smaragd are most often found in specialized stores and nurseries:
- Golden (pictured). The tree has scaly soft structure of needles. It is considered the best of the derived forms. The crown keeps its perfect conical shape, and the needles have a golden hue, preserved throughout the year. It grows very slowly, in 10 years - 2 meters in height.
- Variyegata (on the third photo). It features a narrower crown and rich green needles, the ends of the shoots have a white coating. Highly decorative, frost-resistant form.
Tuya Smaragd: landing
You can grow a tree from seeds, cuttings or saplings. The most optimal third option. When buying a sapling, pay attention to its appearance; it is best if the plant is in a container with a closed root system, the earthen ball should not be over-dried, the needles should be fresh and have a bright green color. The best time to plant is spring and summer. It is undesirable to do this in the autumn, as the plant does not have time to get stronger by the winter season and, most likely, will freeze. Thuja is unpretentious, but for better growth and beautiful appearance, provide it with fertile soil with good drainage.
Do not forget that the Thuja Smaragd prefers sunny areas or places with light shading.
The size of a landing hole directly depends on a sapling. In the best way for the tree fit a mixture of leaf, sod land, humus in equal quantities and some sand for better air and moisture permeability. Put a little ash and complex mineral fertilizer on the bottom of the pit, pour all the prepared mixture and let it stand (5-6 days). When planting a seedling from the earthy coma do not release, otherwise damage the roots. Dip at the same level as in the container, and the near-stem surface should be mulched. Just planted plants for the first time cover from the hot sunshine and water every week.
Tuya Smaragd: care
Growing a tree does not require much time. Caring for thuja is extremely simple, but you should follow some rules. Pay attention to the following points.
- Thuja requires regular watering, especially in hot and dry summers. The near-stem circle should always be wet and free from weeds. Watering is best done early in the morning or in the evening, after the needles of the sun no longer fall on the needles.The best option is the drip system, it will allow you to maintain an optimal moisture balance, delivering it to the roots of the plant.
- Loosening the soil is necessary, but do not overdo it. Thuja has a superficial root system. The depth of loosening should be minimal and not exceed 10 cm. Be sure to mulch the surface with peat and wood chips - this will protect the roots from overheating, as well as the rapid evaporation of moisture from the soil.
- Tui Smaragd requires annual fertilizing with fertilizers. Periodicity - three times per season: April, May and August. Use special complex fertilizers for coniferous plants. Experienced gardeners recommend reducing the dosage and concentration of drugs for young plants by half, so as not to burn the root system.
- The tree does not require special pruning, it will eventually acquire an even pyramidal crown. However, to maintain a neat appearance in time, remove damaged and dry shoots.